See also

Family of William Hellyar COOPER and Elsie Charlotte HATFIELD

Husband: William Hellyar COOPER (1870-1932)
Wife: Elsie Charlotte HATFIELD (1878-1931)
Children: Christine Lucy COOPER (1900-1976)
Doris Mabel COOPER (1901- )
Ada Muriel COOPER (1903-1990)
Charles Hellyar COOPER (1906-1975)
Marriage 3 Jun 1898 Claremont, Western Australia

Husband: William Hellyar COOPER


William Hellyar COOPER, 1924, age 54


William Hellyar COOPER, 1924, age 54


William Hellyar COOPER, 1898, age 28

Name: William Hellyar COOPER1
Sex: Male
Father: Charles George Harvey COOPER (1827-1886)
Mother: Sarah Catherine WALDECK (1837-1923)
Birth 1870 Perth, Western Australia
Occupation Publican At Marble Bar1
Death 18 Jul 1932 (age 61-62) Nedlands, Western Australia1

Wife: Elsie Charlotte HATFIELD


Elsie Charlotte HATFIELD, 1924, age 46


Elsie Charlotte HATFIELD, 1924, age 46

Name: Elsie Charlotte HATFIELD1
Sex: Female
Father: Henry Davidson HATFIELD (1852- )
Mother: Ann Susan WEGG (1849- )
Birth 22 Mar 1878 Greenwich, Deptford, Kent1
Death 29 Jun 1931 (age 53) Nedlands, Perth Western Australia1

Child 1: Christine Lucy COOPER

Name: Christine Lucy COOPER1
Sex: Female
Spouse: William Augustus SMITH ( - )
Birth 18 Mar 1900 Perth, Western Australia
Death 22 Nov 1976 (age 76) Inglewood, Western Australia

Child 2: Doris Mabel COOPER


Doris Mabel COOPER


Doris Mabel COOPER


Doris Mabel COOPER, 1924, age 23


Doris Mabel COOPER, 1924, age 23


Spouse: Clarence Edward Sainsbury TIMEWELL


Spouse: Clarence Edward Sainsbury TIMEWELL, 1924, age 23

Name: Doris Mabel COOPER1
Sex: Female
Spouse 1: Clarence Edward Sainsbury TIMEWELL (1901-1925)
Spouse 2: Henry Cecil Gordon SMITH (1901-1972)
Birth 16 Sep 1901 Marble Bar, Western Australia

Child 3: Ada Muriel COOPER


Ada Muriel COOPER, 1924, age 21

Name: Ada Muriel COOPER1
Sex: Female
Spouse: Samuel Harry WESTLAKE (1893-1975)
Birth 21 Nov 1903 Subiaco, Western Australia
Death 29 Aug 1990 (age 86) Mandurah, Western Australia

Child 4: Charles Hellyar COOPER


Charles Hellyar COOPER, 1924, age 18


Charles Hellyar COOPER, 1924, age 18

Name: Charles Hellyar COOPER1
Sex: Male
Birth 19 Aug 1906 Perth, Western Australia
Death 24 Feb 1975 (age 68) Carnarvon, Western Australia1

Note on Husband: William Hellyar COOPER (1) - shared note

Ainslie's cuttings book:


"There is also an interesting article about a Japanese cook running amok on the cattle station run by William Hellyar up in the North of Western Australia - a very remote region in those days.

... Something upset the cook and he tried to poison them, then when that failed he shot at them, wounding William and another station hand.

...the cook then disappeared and there is no further article to tell us what happened thereafter!!"

Note on Husband: William Hellyar COOPER (2)

Newspaper cutting in possession of Ainslie Sharpe - paper unknown:


"Wednesday November 10 1915












Marble Bar Nov. 9.


At Murramunda station, 135 miles from Nullagine, on Sunday last, a Japanese named Kitchie, employed on the station as cook, run amok. He first attemted to poison and then shoot the proprietor, Mr W. Cooper, and an employee named William Allan. Both men were sitting down to dinner, Allan being in the men's quarters adjoining the cook's camp, with a bush partition between. Allan made a remark to the cook regarding the meat, some of which had a bitter taste. Kitchie made no reply, but walked into his camp. He secured a rifle, which he pointed through the partition, and fired point blank, the bullet penetrating Allan through the right side, coming out under the shoulder blade. When shot, Allan warned Mr. Cooper, who was fifteen yards away, eating his dinner. The latter immediately rushed for the homestead to secure a revolver, and he was met by the Japanese, who fired; the bullet penetrating the arm above the elbow and cutting a portion of the left breast. Mr. Cooper continued on, and the Japanese fired again, but without success. Mr. Cooper, having secured a revolver, made for the motor garage, to secure a rifle. Kitchie was waiting for him, in hiding, and he fired at a range of five yards, the bullet hitting his victim over the heart, but fortunately did not penetrate that organ. Mr. Cooper made for the house again, and heard another shot, the Japanese having shot at a native woman, without result. The latter joined Mr. Cooper, and both went to the assistance of Allan, who was bleeding profusely. They got him out of danger, and then made for the native camps, which were a couple of hundred yards away. The natives had all cleared out, and, looking round, Mr. Cooper discovered that the motor garage, buggy sheds and store were aflame. Two natives came up and assisted Mr. Cooper to the road, where the latter collapsed, suffering from poisoning as well as rifle wounds. The mail car arrived shortly afterwards, in charge of Syd Hedditch and George Hudson. Together they got Allan, who was also suffering severely from poisoning, into safety.

Wiley, another station hand, arrived whilst Mr. Cooper was waiting for the mail, and stated that the Japanese had gone six miles out to his camp, fired at him from a 30 yards range, but missed. Wiley made for the station barefooted and found the place burnt.

Both the wounded men were brought into the local hospital this morning, and are progressing well, no danger being expected.

Kitchie used a 32 magazine rifle. Both his victims had miraculous escapes. John Campbell, Gus Smith, and the police are now after the Japanese, but no capture has yet been made. The damage caused by the fire amounts to £600.






Port Hadland, Nov. 9.


The train for Marble Bar left to-day, instead of tomorrow, the change being made in order to convey a doctor to attend the victims of the shooting affray at Murramunda station.




Confirmation of the outrage was received yesterday by the central police authorities in Perth. Chief Inspector McKenna received word late in the afternoon that the injured men had reached Marble Bar, where they were receiving medical treatment.










Marble Bar, Nov. 10.


In connection with the Marramunda Station sensation, in which the Japanese cook Kitchie ran amok and shot and wounded Mr. W. Cooper, the owner of the property, and William Allan, an employee, set fire to the station premises, and after firing at others made off into the outside country, Dr. Browne has reached Marble Bar from Port Hedland to attend to the victims.

Dr. Browne made an examination of Cooper and Allan this morning, when Allan was found to have been shot completely through the upper part of the thorax, the bullet having penetrated the lung. Cooper was shot through the left upper forearm, the bullet entering oiutside the arm and passing through and emerging from the left breast. there was also a shot through the left side of the breast bone. The bullet wound was found slightly more than three-quarters of an inch in depth, the bullet evidently having rebounded, as none could be found on examination. the theory is that a bad cartridge was responsible. Both men had a miraculous escape from death. Both are progressing satisfactorily.

No news of the Japanese has been received, and the country is still being scoured to find the miscreant.









Marble Bar. Nov. 11.


General satisfaction was expressed when it became known that Kitchi, the Japanese cook who ran amok on the Marramunda Station, attempted to murder those who were about, and set fire to the station buildings, was captured by Gus Smith, Joe Corneally, and Jimmy Curtis on Tuesday morning, about a mile from the station. It appears that the Japanese secured an old pair of buggy winkers and made a rope bridle. He caught a horse at the well, and using a blanket for a saddle, rode the horse round the station. He hid in the scrub with the horse. When the searchers appeared, they left two saddles unknowingly in the vicinity, and went out to pick up the tracks. Shortly afterwards, they were successful in their object, and sent a native back for the saddles. On approaching the saddles the native saw Kitchi coming towards him. He gave the alarm, and the party immediately galloped up to within sixty yards of Kitchi. The latter dropped on his knees and covered them. Smith and Corneally jumped off their horses and covered him in turn, while they demanded his surrender. The Japanese seeing all was up, turned his rifle upon himself and fired, the bullet entering his chest. He was taken on to the Ethel Creek Station, awaiting a motor to bring him to Marble Bar. The wound proved to be serious.

On Monday morning, it would seem, Kitchi went back to the station, and set fire to the homestead, and other buildings, which were not burnt. On Sunday he totally destroyed the whole of the building, the damage being estimated at over £1,000.

Asked the reason for the crime, Kitchi said he had had a dream, and had to do it.

Walter Wiley, who ran barefoot, six miles after being shot at, is suffering intensely from sore feet. Cooper and Allan who were wounded on Sunday, are both doing splendidly. When captured, Kitchi had an automatic rifle and 104 rounds of ammunition.

Kitchi succumbed on the way in to Marble Bar. Warden Riches will hold an inquiry into the affair.











Nullagine, Nov. 14.


In connection with the station sensation at Murramunda, an inquiry into the death of Kigro Shiosaki, commonly known as Kitchi, was held on Saturday (before Warden Riches and a jury. Constable Keans conducted the proceedings.

Gus. Smith, manager of the Ethel Creek Station, stated that on Monday morning last, in consequece of information received, he, in company with Curtis, Cornelly, and two natives, went to Murramunda, being all armed. They arrived the following morning. When within half a mile of the station they left Curtis and a native with the buggy. Cornelly, a native, and witness went went in search of Wiley,

When they had gone 300 yards they found two saddles and bridles concealed. They searched round, but could not find Wiley, and they went to the well at the homestead, where they found the tap blocked. The gates of the paddock were open, and there was no water in the toughs. The sheep all round the place were wanting water. They fixed up things, and when they were proceeding back to Curtis, they saw something white in the bushes. They thought it was a bullock, but later it was found to be the horse ridden by Kitchi. They returned to Curtis, and decided to continue to look for Wiley. Two Marramunda "boys" then came up from Wiley. They sent one of them to get a saddle, which they had discovered, and the native soon afterwards came runing back with a bridle and saddle cloth. He said that the Japanese was there riding a grey horse, and was coming for the sadddles. Witness turned round and saw Kitchi saddling a horse about 300 yards away. Cornelly, witness, and two natives, who were all armed, immediately jumped on their horses. Witness instructed the party that if Kitchi did not surrender they were to shoot low. When within 60 yards of the Japanese, witness commanded him to sling his rifle away and surrender. There was no reply, and Kitchi, who started to load his rifle, continued to advance. When 50 yards away, the Japanese dropped on his knee and covered witness with his rifle. Witness jumped off his horse, using the latter for cover, and took aim at Kitchi, whom he again demanded to surrender. Kitchi then turned the rifle in the direction of Cornelly. Then a "boy" fired at the Japanese with a 22 automatic rifle. Two shots were fired in quick succession. The Japanese did not appear to be struck. As the second shot was fired, witness saw the Japanese turn the rifle on himself, and he heard a report. The stick of the rifle was in the air, and the muzzle was against his breast. The Japanese fell down. Witness walked towards him. The Japanese sat up with his hands raised, and then picked up the rifle and threw it away. Witness took hold of him and pulled off the shirt, which was burning where the bullet entered. He asked why the Japanese had shot himself, but received no reply. He asked what was the lump in the small of his back, but he did not know. The bullet entered the right breast, and the lump was evidently where the bullet had made its exit. Witness asked him why he shot Cooper. Kitchi said that he did not know. Asked why he had shot Allan, he said that he was dreaming. The Japanese also inquired if Cooper was alright. Witness searched the Japanese, who had 110 rounds of ammunition in his possession. Witness took him to Ethel Creek, and on the way Kitchi died at Battle Hill.

Cornelly, Hedditch, and Hudson gave corroborative evidence.

The Coroner, in the course of his summing-up, stated that the greatest credit was due to Smith, Cornelly and Curtis, whose prompt action in the absence of the police probably saved the loss of life.

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that death was due to the gunshot wound, self-inflicted."

Note on Husband: William Hellyar COOPER (3)

Marble Bar is a town and rock formation in the Pilbara region of north-western Western Australia. It is well known for its extremely hot weather.




The town was officially gazetted in 1893 following the discovery of gold in the area in 1890 by a prospector named Francis Jenkins who is remembered by the name of the towns main street. The name Marble Bar was derived from a nearby jasper bar mistaken for Marble and now known as Marble Bar, which runs across the bed of the Coongan River.


In 1891 the town boasted a population in excess of 5,000 as it experienced a rush on the goldfields.


By 1895 the town had its Government offices built; these are now National Trust buildings, out of local stone which are still standing today.


Possibly the most famous building in the town is the Ironclad hotel built in the 1890s, constructed of corrugated Iron, and given the name by American miners who were reminded of the Ironclad ships from the United States. In 2006, the Ironclad hotel was listed on the Western Australian register of heritage places.


Several large gold nuggets were discovered as a result of the goldrush. The 333 ounce Little Hero nugget, the 413 ounce Bobby Dazzler and the 332 Ounce General Gordon nugget were all found in the goldfields around the town.


It had a railway connecting with Port Hedland up until the early 1950s, which can be seen as a narrow gauge precursor to the network of standard gauge iron-ore railways that have since been created across the Pilbara.




The town set a world record of most consecutive days of maximum temperatures of 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 degrees Celsius) or more, during a period of 160 such days from 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924.


During December and January, temperatures in excess of 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit) are common, and the average maximum temperature exceeds 100 degrees Fahrenheit during 6 months each year.

Note on Husband: William Hellyar COOPER (4)

Birth Reg No 12716/1870


Marriage Reg No 49/1898 Hotel Keeper in Marble Bar.


Buried Karrakatta Cemetery Anglican Section ZA Plot No 0539

Death Reg No 1137/1932


1Ainslie Sharpe, "|nformation supplied by Ainslie Sharpe".
Text From Source: |nformation supplied by Ainslie Sharpe (descendant of Charles George Harvey Cooper) of
Graham Hoadly.